Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Baby Proofing, Part Deux

I really thought we were done with babyproofing.

Cabinet locks - check.
Baby gates - check.
General hazards picked up - check.

Electronic door lock - um, no.

We are now in the market for one of these:


Why you ask?  Well Connor decided to lock Alan out of the house today.  Apparantly it went down something like this - Alan went out the back patio door to take the dog out.  Connor promptly locked the sliding door behind him.  I got this message in an e-mail from Alan.  I promptly called home.  Not to make sure everyone was okay, but because I had to have the answer to the question - you know the question, you want to know yourself.

B: Okay, I just have to know.
A: Know what?
B: Did you try to get Connor to open the door? (Because obviously you can rationalize with a 21 month old toddler)
A: Oh.  Yeah, I did. (I guess it's worth a shot)
B: How'd that work out?
A: Um, not too well.  He tried, but he couldn't do it.  Then it was just funny to him.
B: Of course it was.  Okay, that's all I wanted, bye.

I just had to have the image of a grown man pleading through the patio door to a toddler to please unlock the door.  Well worth the phone call and the image.

So Alan went around to all the windows-  we just happened to leave one unlocked.  (Who doesn't do that in Ohio in January?)  So he was able to climb in the window. 

He also apparantely contemplated ripping the side door off the hinges.  Would have been funny since the hinges ae on the inside.  I guess he also thought about something with his truck and the door.  Not sure that'll work either. 

So, he wants to either hide a key somewhere (the neighbors have one but they're never home), or get the electronic lock.  Who knew in this house that was part of babyproofing.
~B

No comments: